Saturday, July 23, 2011

Guu Sakabar


Guu is Guud. If you don't know what Guu is then you must be living in a cave.

My first Guu experience was at Guu Izakaya along Church. That was the first restaurant I have ever waited in line for. One hour to be exact but it was so worth the wait.

Now another Guu restaurant opened up just a few months ago, Guu Sakabar. Surprisingly, this time I didn't even have to wait in line at all. Yayyy!



















This location has 2 dining areas. One area is similar to the other location where there are communal tables and seating by the bar. The other area looked like you are sitting on the floor but there's a space in the ground to dangle your legs so technically you're not really sitting on the floor. Note you have to remove your shoes before entering this area so be sure your feet don't smell otherwise it's just unpleasant for those around you. Luckily I didn't have that issue.


Here was the specials for the day.


To start off our waitress highly recommended the magutata which was seared B.C. tuna sashimi with garlic chips, green onion and ponzu sauce. It was one of the specials for the day. Oh-my-god it was insanely delicious. It was so fresh that it made me wondered if they had a tank of tuna swimming around in their kitchen. This is a MUST TRY!!!


Another MUST TRY!!! Sashimi salad with wasabi mayo. So light and fresh yet a nice lil kick from the wasabi mayo.


Takowasabi which was marinated octopus with chopped wasabi stem and vegetables. I liked this dish as well but gotta watch out the wasabi likes to sneak up on you. I don't know why I inhaled and ended up coughing since it just hit me like a silent assassin. Yummy but can be lethal.


Now these were my least favorite dishes of the night, the hitokuchi and the oshi zuzhi. The hitokuchi was one of the specials. It was scallop sashimi with sea urchin cream sauce. The words "sea urchin" already scared me off but my friend wanted to give it a try. Yup not my cup of tea. It just didn't taste right to me. The oshi zushi was torched marinated mackerel pressed sushi. The fish itself was nicely cooked but the sushi as a whole lacked in seasoning. It was just bland.



















This here was deep fried double cream brie with mango sauce. MUST TRY!!! It was mind blowing. Who would've thought brie cheese and mango sauce would pair so well together. It was just a party in my mouth. Golden brown crunchy exterior while the interior was ooey gooey cheesy fun but, add the mango sauce and there's the life of the party. Mmmmmm so guud.


Here was another special for the day, the grilled beef tongue skewers. It was perfectly cooked and well seasoned.


This was absolutely delish, the rice burger with ginger pork, cabbage and garlic mayo. Another MUST TRY since dunno where else you will find this.


This was also one of the specials but I've had it at the other Guu location, the kabocha pumpkin croquette with egg. It was still yummy. Definitely worth ordering again.



















Here was the gindara which was miso marinated black cod with yuzu miso sauce. Unfortunately, I found this to be too salty however, since it is an izakaya it's meant to be eaten while drinking. Sadly I don't really drink so I couldn't enjoy this the way it was meant to be eaten. Oh well.


For desserts, me and my friend had to try out at least 2.

Here was the goma zukushi with sesame ice cream, sesame rice cake and sesame cracker. There was nothing extraordinary about this dish. In fact, each component were common items you would find at an Asian bakery or supermarket. This dish was pricey. I wished I had ordered the almond tofu instead.


Here was the roasted green tea cheesecake. We found it too bitter. Another fail here. Maybe the sake tiramisu instead next time.


Here was the total damage. All for just 2 girls;)


I love love loooooove Guu. I would definitely return again. Our waitress was always smiling and so friendly and attentive. The atmosphere might be loud at times every time a customer enters but you can't help but smile at the staff. I think Guu will always be GUUD.

TOTAL BILL $83...EAT HERE NEXT!!!

559 Bloor St. West
(close to Bathurst Station)
647-343-1101

Guu SakaBar on Urbanspoon

9 comments:

L. Jones said...

Wow, the brie and mango sauce has me so intrigued. Thanks for the review. I definitely have to check this place out.

Eat Here Next said...

thx for reading my post...hope u enjoy it lemme know wat u think;)

Chee said...

I can't believe we scarfed all that down between the 2 of us...a bit scary isn't it? ;) But it was definitely guud! :) You gotta try the almond tofu for dessert next time...you'll like that much more than the desserts we ordered!

Eat Here Next said...

not really lol remember how i said if wur not full lets go for tacos hahahaha

kiki's B.F.F said...

I like the 1st Guu a lot better, just don't know why... I find most of the food here less good =(

oh, the Sake Tiramisu was sooo good (♥ sake) =P

Eat Here Next said...

really i had a great dinner i would go to both location^_^

Wendy Tran said...

Great review! That deep fried double cream brie sounds really good... :P

Jess said...

Mmm love Guu! I used to live in Vancouver and I have to say, the Guu's here are actually very comparable! The food is just as amazing (minus the sashimi they fly in here from BC lol). Not a fan of uni eh? I love that stuff! But i can see why its not for everyone.. the deep fried brie is also one of my favourites here.. pure deep fried goodness :)

Eat Here Next said...

Thx Wendy yes it was guud u should def go give it a try;)

wow lucky u Jess cant get fresher than B.C....yes im not the biggest fan of uni just the thought of it gives me the shivers;(

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...